The British Cheese Board are running a campaign to promote the use of cheese in your salad this summertime – and as cheese is one of my truest loves, I decided to heed their advice! I’ve never been much of a cook, although I’ve always loved experimenting in the kitchen. Over the course of the last few weeks I think I’ve perfected my ideal summer cheese salad using the remains of my Mac & Cheese from the night before!
First, I made Mac & Cheese using the following ingredients & method:
250g Macaroni Pasta
300g Mature Barber’s Cruncher Cheddar Cheese
60g Shaved Berkswell Cheese
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Boil macaroni according to directions on the packet and drain into casserole dish.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour until thickened, then add milk and mustard, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in the Barber’s Cruncher Cheese until melted.
5. Pour mixture over the macaroni in casserole dish & stir well.
6. Bake in oven for 30 minutes and sprinkle the shaved Berkswell Cheese on top.
This is a meal in itself! But I put the leftovers in the fridge and made my salad the next day.
I added lettuce leaves, chunks of apple and celery, nuts, raisins, and a splash of lemon juice – then put in a few chunks more of the Barber’s Cruncher and shaved some more Berkswell on top to make the most delicious salad I’ve eaten in a long time, including restaurants!
YUM. Dig in!